Student Safety at Charlotte Public Schools
At Charlotte Public Schools the safety of our students is one of our top priorities. We are proud of the strong safety practices in place in our District and the continuous review and enhancements put in place on an ongoing basis to ensure that we are doing all that we can to protect our students and staff.
We have strong safety practices in place including the following:
- Our emergency management plan has been in place and continues to be updated with local law enforcement and/or recommendations from the county, state and national authorities.
- All exterior doors are locked, except for the front entrance into the school office area.
- Each school is designed to direct all outside visitors to check-in with a staff member at arrival.
- The high schools are staffed with personnel at the main entrance.
- All outside visitors are required to sign in at the office at all schools.
- All classrooms are equipped with telephones.
- Radio-controlled walkie-talkies are used throughout the buildings.
- All schools have security cameras inside and outside of the buildings capturing images of entryways.
- Our district requires that each school routinely practice security drills throughout the year. Reviews of drills are used to revise and refine our practices.
- Deputy liaison officers are assigned to the high school and provide support to the entire district.
- Administrators and our deputy liaison have forged a strong working relationship with local law enforcement officers and will continue to report unusual behaviors to maintain the safety of our students.
- Buses are equipped with cameras.
- All buildings are equipped with emergency generators.
We thank you for your continued support and assistance in keeping all of our children safe. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact your building principal.